Being a woman is not easy, no secret there. Countless pressures from society do nothing to relieve the countless pressures we put upon ourselves. I have been given a new perspective on creation lately, and being created in God's image. Since we are created in His image, and since He is a creator, humans have a natural inclination to create. But what else are we driven towards and by? What about women?
I am reading "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge in which the authors unveil the mystery of a woman's soul. Woah, someone knows how to do that? Logically, they begin with the dawn of time. God goes nuts: light, land, trees, buffalo, eagles, scorpions, tulips, crickets, horses, dolphins...and then a man. Stars sing and angels shout - what a great show! Yet, something is missing, not good; God is not finished. So He puts Adam back to rest, takes a rib, and makes a woman. The author calls Eve the "crown of creation," instructing the reader to go to the nearest window, look out across the earth, and declare that the world is incomplete without her. "Creation has reached a zenith in me" is not an easy concept to grasp.
Shedding light, Eldredge convincingly describes God's feminine tendencies by example of women:
Women are relational, possessing a vast desire and capacity for intimate relationships.
God's greatest desire is to be in relationship with us.
Women long to be sought after, desired.
He longs to be desired, pursued.
We are inviting, tender, merciful (sometimes:only human), fierce, and fiercely devoted.
Sound familiar?
"It is not good for the man to be alone, I shall make him [an ezer kenegdo]" (Gen. 2:18 Alter).
Ezer kenegdo, my new favorite phrase.
Roughly, "help meet," "companion," or "helper." I found it interesting that the only other times "ezer" is used in the Old Testament is in reference to God, needing His help in a life-or-death situation.
Eldredge writes, "God is essential. He wants us to need him - desperately. Eve is essential. She has an irreplaceable role to play. And so you'll see that women are endowed with fierce devotion, an ability to suffer great hardships, [and] a vision to make the world a better place."
"That longing in the heart of a woman to share life together as a great adventure - that comes straight from the heart of God, who also longs for this."
Well, that clears it up pretty well for me! It is comforting to know that these needy, lovey-dovey, sometimes jealous feelings are a part of my disposition; traits acquired not from women I have known, but from God Himself. I am created in His image, and that is why I am how and who I am.
Monday, October 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Heather - I am so excited you started your own blog! I have really enjoyed getting to know you and am so excited to see how God moves your heart! I am also reading this book and have been blown away, humbled, and encouraged by the concept that it is ok to be the way that I am - because I reflect something beautiful and unique as a woman about who God is. See you tonight!
Thanks! I assume this is Janine - but you know what they say when you assume...
I haven't made it very far into Captivating, but I am sure it will be great! That chapter really makes a lady feel better about being so lady-ish! See you tonight. Where is your blog?!
Post a Comment